In Africa, when it comes to tourist destinations for American visitors, Ghana is simply one of the best (if not the best). No two ways about that. Apparently, “Where there is peace, there is a way!”
That said, all potential visitors to Ghana must subject themselves to the immigration laws of this reputable west African country.
What is Ghana’s Visa Requirements for US Citizens?As part of the Ghana visa requirements, US tourists coming to Ghana must have their valid passports and visas. Single-entry visas valid for 90 days attract visa fees of $60, $150, and $100 — depending on the visa type.
Knowing the Ghana visa requirements for US citizens will serve you right. They’ll take you closer to your Ghanaian dreams than ever before.
The US-Ghana diplomatic relationship keeps opening doors for the citizens. If this positive trend continues, the two countries will only get stronger.
Table of Contents
- Ghana Visa Requirements for American Citizens
- Business Visa
- Ghana Tourist Visa Requirements for US Citizens
- Do I Need a Visa for Ghana?
- How to bring someone from Ghana to the USA
- Ghana “Visa on Arrival” US Citizen
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Can US citizens get a visa on arrival in Ghana?
- How long does it take to get a visa to Ghana?
- Do US citizens need a visa for Ghana?
- How much is a visa to Ghana?
- Congratulations for trying hard to get a Ghana visa. But be reminded that Ghana reserves absolute rights to decline you a visa if you don’t meet the requirements.
Ghana Visa Requirements for American Citizens
Ghana Immigration Service issues different kinds of visas for Americans. Here are the requirements for tourist visas and business visas to Ghana.
Ghana laws require US visitors to have their signed passports. In addition to that, the passports must have the following:
- The validity period of 6 months or above.
- At least a blank page for visa stamp
- Good shape. Ghana doesn’t tolerate torn, frayed or physically-distorted visas
As an American citizen, your two-color passport-size photo should satisfy the criteria below:
- Not more than 3-months-old
- Be on a white background
- Size is 2X2 inches
- Full natural face; no smiling or wearing of glasses
- Business Cover Letter
You’re supposed to carry the US company’s cover letter. The letterhead must prove your United States’ mailing address.
- Invitation Letter
You’re required to attach an official letter from the company that’s inviting you to Ghana. This letter should meet the requirements below:
- Specify the details of the business trip. Is it about a meeting or a contract negotiation?
- Full address and contact number of the inviting company in Ghana.
- What is the number of entries and validity of your required visa? If you want a single entry visa, you are advised to apply for it early enough, at least 30-days before your intended departure. This visa is valid for 3 months.
- Visa Application Form
American visitors to Ghana have two visa application options to choose from. Whether you want the rush or regular option, your application must:
- Answer all the necessary questions
- Carry your name as is written on your passport.
- Have a signature
- Be in typed format
- Travel Arrangement Proof
US citizens have to show proof of arrangements for the trip. For instance, round trip tickets and departure dates.
Ghana Tourist Visa Requirements for US Citizens
As shown above, you will still need your valid passport, photographs, visa application form and proof of your trip arrangements.
If you’re a child aged below 18 years (a minor), you are required to:
- Show your birth certificate
- Produce copies of your parents’ national ID cards or passports
- Show a letter of consent (agreement) from your parents
- Let your parents endorse your visa application form.
NB: There are 2 more important things to note as a US visitor to Ghana.
- Be sure that you have enough funds to support your stay in Ghana. You should have a minimum of $5000 USD before your entry to Ghana. The same amount equally applies during your exit.
- A yellow fever vaccination card is also a must. The risks of yellow fever transmissions are high in Ghana, so follow the rules.
Do I Need a Visa for Ghana?
If you’re an American, it’s yes. You need a visa for Ghana because the United States of America and Ghana haven’t signed a visa-waiver agreement. For the same reason, Ghanaians can’t enter the United States without visas.
However, citizens from other visa-exempt countries (mostly members of the ECOWAS) can enter Ghana without visas. I hope that makes sense to you.
How to bring someone from Ghana to the USA
You can bring someone (e.g your fiance or relative) from Ghana to the USA by writing the person an invitation letter.
This would serve as an official document to convince the US immigration officers to grant your visitor a fiance visa in the USA, or something like that — just for a short stay.
Before a US sponsor can invite a Ghanaian to the United States, the sponsor must be a lawful US citizen.
Ghana “Visa on Arrival” US Citizen
I don’t want to assume that you already know the meaning of the visa on arrival.
To hit the nail on the head, visas on arrival are issued in the country of destination, following the arrival of the visitors.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can US citizens get a visa on arrival in Ghana?
Unfortunately, no! I must be frank with you. As of March 2020, Ghana visas on arrival aren’t available to US citizens.
Do you really want to know why US citizens cannot get visas on arrival in Ghana?
Well, so far it looks like America doesn’t give visas on arrival to all Ghanaian travelers. This could help explain why Americans need to get their Ghanaian visas beforehand.
As the saying goes, one good turn always deserves another; likewise one bad turn. If it’s not a matter of tit for tat, then it could be that the two countries both respect each other’s sovereign principles.
Even though Ghana visa on arrival for US citizens is scarce to get, the possibility is not completely ruled out. For instance, in 2019, many American visitors to Ghana were able to get visas on arrival.
Dubbed the Year of Return, it was President Akufo Addo’s administration who launched this flagship program.
This allowed African-Americans in the diaspora to come and experience Ghana — 400 years after the arrival of the first black slaves in Virginia, US.
It’s also possible for US citizens to secure Ghana visas on arrival when prior notice is given to Ghana Immigration authorities.
How long does it take to get a visa to Ghana?
It normally takes about 10—14 working days for you to get a visa to Ghana. However, the visa processing times also depend on the type of visa you’re applying for.
If you’re an American citizen who wants to expedite your visa acquisition process, go with the rush visa option. Shorter processing time means you’ll pay more for it than the regular visa.
Do US citizens need a visa for Ghana?
America isn’t visa-exempt to Ghana. So automatically, all US citizens are required to get visas before they can enter Ghana. Only citizens from Ghana visa-free countries don’t need visas to enter Ghana.
American visitors are always welcome to Ghana. But they must possess the right travel documents in order to smoothen their tourist or business visa applications.
US citizens can get the Ghana visa application form New York by visiting the
Ghana Consulate at New York.
How much is a visa to Ghana?
For Americans, the US visa fee to Ghana usually costs around $160—$250. This price range depends on the visa types and the length of your stay in Ghana.
Visa fees are not fixed; they can change at any moment in time when necessary
For further Ghana visa information, visit the US Embassy Ghana.
Invitation Letter for a Friend to Visit USA with Samples!
Do I Need a Visa for Ghana? Requirements and Even More!
Ghana Visa on Arrival: Do You Have What It Takes For a Visa?
How Much is US Visa Fee in Ghana Cedis? A Non-Ghanaian Guide!
A visa is required for entry to Ghana for all American citizens. The Ghanan government can change visa requirements at any time. It is best to use a travel documents service to make sure everything is prepared for your trip. Proof of yellow fever vaccination is also required as part of the entry process.
- Passport. Have at least two consecutive blank visa pages.
- Photographs. ...
- Visa Application Form. ...
- Proof of Travel Arrangements. ...
- Hotel Confirmation. ...
- Travisa Order Form.
- Children 18 and Under. ...
- Vaccination Certificate.
Ghana Consular Fees:
Single Entry Visa (must be used within 3 months from date of issue): $60. Multiple Entry Visa: $100. Single Expedited Visa: $100. Multiple Visa Expedited: $200.
The single entry Ghana tourist visa is usually valid for three months from date issued, for a stay not to exceed 30 days. Multiple entry visa is usually valid for 1-3 years. Passport must have at least six months remaining validity and contain at least one blank visa page for visa to be issued.
A fee of USD150.
The Ghana government fee for US citizens is $60 for a single-entry visa and $100 for a multiple-entry visa. Visa Supply charges a separate fee for our services.
|Processing Time:||Standard Visa to Ghana 15 business day|
|Validity:||6 months or greater|
If you are not applying for a visa in the country of your citizenship, you must provide the original and photocopy of your valid certiﬁcates of residence, employment or student status, or other valid certiﬁcates of legal stay provided by the relevant authorities of the country where the Visa Centre is located.
- Apply online. Upload Photo and Passport Page.
- Pay eVisa fee online. Using Credit / Debit card / Payment Wallet.
- Receive ETA Online. Electronic Travel Authorization/ETA Will be sent to your e-mail.
- Fly To India. Print ETA and present at Immigration Check Post where eVisa will be stamped on passport.
How do I apply for an electronic visa to Ghana? Eligible citizens will be able to apply for an electronic visa for Ghana through a simple online form which will only take a few minutes to complete with basic passport and personal information.
(Note: U.S. citizens don't need a U.S. visa for travel, but when planning travel abroad may need a visa issued by the embassy of the country they wish to visit.
Air France, Delta & United Airlines fly the most frequently from the United States to Ghana.
If you are in Ghana and need to extend your visa, you will need to visit the Ghana Immigration Service (GIS) office in person. It isn't possible to call about an individual case or to book an appointment in advance.
Visa is granted on arrival for holders of a copy of a pre-arranged approval from immigration. Transit visa: all persons in direct airside transit are exempt from visa requirements. Nationalities subject to visa: citizens of all other nationalities can obtain their visa in embassies or online.
All visa applications MUST be completed online at www.ghanaembassydc.org. On the website, www.ghanaembassydc.org, click on APPLICATIONS, and click on visa application to complete the form. After completing the visa application, download and print the application.
- Step 1: Visit Ghana's Website. ...
- Step 2: Select the Purpose of Travel. ...
- Step 3: Provide personal details. ...
- Step 4: Declare your Travel history and Criminal background. ...
- Step 5: Provide Your Address and Occupation. ...
- Step 6: Provide details of your residence in Ghana. ...
- Step 7: Complete the final checklist.
An applicant's current and/or past actions, such as drug or criminal activities, as examples, may make the applicant ineligible for a visa. If denied a visa, in most cases the applicant is notified of the section of law which applies.
All persons entering Ghana must be in possession of a valid passport or Travel Document establishing the identity of the holder.
The application fee for the most common nonimmigrant visa types is US$160. This includes tourist, business, student, and exchange visas. Most petition-based visas, such as work and religious visas, are US$190.
The bank statement should be printed on the letterhead of the bank and duly signed and stamped by the bank official authorities. The statement must display the bank account number, applicant's address and other details of the applicant for verification purpose.
- What is the purpose of your visit to the US? ...
- Have you been to the US before? ...
- Do you have relatives or friends currently in the US? ...
- Details on your friends / relatives in the US. ...
- Where will you be residing in the United States?
The United States government requires all international applicants to provide proof of ability to pay tuition and living expenses before the forms needed for obtaining a visa can be issued. This proof can come in the form of personal or family bank letters, bank statements, stock statements, company sponsorships, etc.
Visa processing takes approximately 21 workdays from the date on which the application is received by the Embassy.
Ideally, you should apply at least 30 days before your current permit expires. Candidates can submit their applications through mail or online.
Upon receipt of the Visa Application through Indian Visa Application Center or directly, the Indian Mission/ Post requires a minimum of three working days to process the case and issue a visa depending upon the nationality and excluding special cases.
A single entry visa lets you travel to Canada only one time. For instance, you may only be eligible for a single entry visa if: you are eligible for a fee-exemption and the purpose of your entry to Canada is limited (such as, for an official visit by a foreign national)
Please note that upon receipt of the hard copy of a Regular application at the Embassy, it will take 15-20 business to process. The processing period for Expedited applications is 7 business days.
There are 48 Ghana visa-free countries. These destinations are available for all Ghana passport holders without a visa.